View Our Practice Areas

How income changes affect child support

Divorced parents in Wisconsin have a lot on their plate between sharing custody and trying to keep up a healthy relationship with a child they may not see that often. When the parent who is responsible for child support payments loses a job or takes a pay cut, this can result in high stress. While a support modification is possible, there are certain steps the parent needs to take in order to keep things legal. 

One of the first instincts when there is a fear bills cannot be paid may be to stop paying child support payments, but this would be a mistake. According to the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families, you are required to keep paying until the court orders a modification change. The law also dictates you need to inform the support agency when there is an income or job change within 10 days of the alteration. Often the court will not even consider a change unless there is a substantial income change or you go longer than six weeks without a job.

According to FindLaw, if you have a good relationship with your ex-spouse, you may be able to come to a new support agreement by speaking with him or her. Mediation may help this process go smoother. 

If you do need to go through the court, detailed documentation can help your case immensely. Be specific in outlining your expenses, and document all legitimate attempts at finding another job. As you are going through this process and waiting for a new court order, pay as much of the current support payments as possible, even if it is not the full amount. 





No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Questions? We can Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

West Bend Office
120 North Main Street Suite 360
West Bend, WI 53095

Toll Free: 888-707-0085
Fax: 262-338-7714
West Bend Law Office Map

Menomonee Falls Office
P.O. Box 768
Menomonee Falls, WI 53052

(By Appointment Only)
Review Us