View Our Practice Areas

Scenarios in which changes to a parenting plan may be necessary

Going through the end of a marriage can be a stressful experience, and the outcome of the situation could have a significant impact on your life. During divorce, you likely faced a variety of difficult decisions concerning your future, especially if you and your former spouse have children together.

As protecting your children was probably a top priority, you may have placed a great deal of importance on negotiating an amicable and acceptable parenting plan. However, as time goes by, the needs of you and your children may change, and modifications to the original agreement might become necessary.

When to pursue modification

In most cases, a court will not consider altering to your parenting plan on a whim. However, certain scenarios can make a modification to your custody agreement necessary, some of which may include the following:

  • Physical relocation: A change in employment is one example of a scenario in which you may wish to pursue changes to your parenting plan, especially if the move would disrupt the current visitation schedule.
  • Best interests of kids: In some cases, you may wish to pursue a modification based on the needs of your kids, and the court may approve these changes provided they are in keeping with the best interests of the children.
  • Safety as a concern: The well-being of your children is paramount, and if you feel the safety of your kids is at risk, you could petition the court for a modification.
  • Violation of arrangement: Should the other parent continually fail to adhere to the terms of the original parenting plan, changes to the original agreement may be necessary.

In some cases, the death of a parent or guardian can also spark the need for adjustments. Regardless of your situation, if you wish to pursue a modification to your parenting plan, it may be in your best interests to seek guidance early on.

Obtaining guidance

Child custody can be one of the toughest topics of divorce, and revisiting this topic can seem somewhat intimidating. However, a change in circumstances can prompt a need for modification, and if you are in search of changes to the current parenting plan, you could benefit from speaking to someone who is knowledgeable in Wisconsin state child custody laws. Such guidance could help you become better prepared to pursue the required changes to your custody agreement through the necessary channels.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Questions? We can Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

West Bend Office
120 North Main Street Suite 360
West Bend, WI 53095

Toll Free: 888-707-0085
Fax: 262-338-7714
West Bend Law Office Map

Menomonee Falls Office
P.O. Box 768
Menomonee Falls, WI 53052

(By Appointment Only)
Review Us