View Our Practice Areas

Your ex can’t tell you how to spend child support

Child support is often a hot topic for divorced parents, as we understand at the Mayer Law Office, LLC. You may have trouble making ends meet even when you receive child support, and your ex might have a lot of opinions on how you should spend the money. Your ex may use the excuse that paying child support gives him or her the right to tell you what to use it for. However, you and other Wisconsin residents who receive child support have more freedom regarding the money than you may believe.

First off, you do not need to let your ex dictate your child support spending, no matter how intimidating he or she might be. As FindLaw explains, the court allows custodial parents to use their own judgment regarding child support funds. As you know, the money is meant for the well-being of your children, but you can decide how best to spend it for their benefit.

For example, you may decide to spend child support on their school supplies, clothing, class fees and extracurricular activities for the upcoming school year. Since it is important for your children to feel safe, secure and comfortable, you can also spend child support on your rent and utilities. You can also use it for food and household necessities.

Can I spend child support on a non-essential item, like a gift or movie tickets, you might wonder? Your children’s happiness is also an important part of their overall well-being; therefore, using a portion of your child support check on fun things for your kids can be considered an acceptable expense. Your only obligation regarding child support is to ensure your children’s basic needs are met, as our page explains.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Questions? We can Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

West Bend Office
120 North Main Street Suite 360
West Bend, WI 53095

Toll Free: 888-707-0085
Fax: 262-338-7714
West Bend Law Office Map

Menomonee Falls Office
P.O. Box 768
Menomonee Falls, WI 53052

(By Appointment Only)
Review Us