View Our Practice Areas

Changing child support orders in Wisconsin

After divorce, Wisconsin parents will still usually have joint financial responsibilities when it comes to caring for their child, regardless of what the custody set-up looks like. However, the circumstances behind custody decisions may change, leaving a parent wondering if the child support order can change with it.

The Wisconsin Department of Children and Families states that changes made to child support orders can either increase or decrease the amount given. Additionally, medical support may be added to the order. They suggest requesting a review if the change would either involve a difference of $50 a month or more, if the current order does not follow the Percentage of Income guideline, or if it doesn't yet include medical support.

FindLaw takes a look at the steps necessary to change a child support order, starting with getting a petition to change it approved. A legal agreement, known as a stipulation, may be created by the child support agency and given to both parents to sign. It will take effect after court approval. If the court is the one to review the order, they will also be the ones to decide whether or not to put it into effect. Fortunately, they usually don't have to review the order unless one parent does not agree to the stipulation terms.

Financial situations change. With it, child support orders should also be somewhat flexible and forgiving toward unpredictable life situations. This flexibility will allow for what is financially best for the parents and child at any given point in time.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Questions? We can Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

West Bend Office
120 North Main Street Suite 360
West Bend, WI 53095

Toll Free: 888-707-0085
Fax: 262-338-7714
West Bend Law Office Map

Menomonee Falls Office
P.O. Box 768
Menomonee Falls, WI 53052

(By Appointment Only)
Review Us