Your Voice In Life's Uncertain Times

Getting A Truly Equitable Division Of Property

Many people believe that when they divorce, their property will be “equally divided” between the two spouses. This is not necessarily true. In Wisconsin, a judge will seek to divide the property equitably.

What’s the difference? The difference is that equitably means that the property will not automatically be split in half. Equal means the same amount to both sides, equitable means fair or appropriate.

Protecting Your Assets In Divorce

At Mayer Law Office, LLC, we understand that most of this property division talk is new to you. Legalese is confusing to nonlawyers. We are here to explain things in plain English so that you understand your rights, the process and the options available to you. Then, you are able to make clear-headed decisions and move forward with confidence. Attorney Catherine Terry can help you understand what an equitable division of assets means in your specific situation.

Certain behaviors and factors in a marriage can affect asset division. These include:

  • Length of the marriage
  • A prenuptial agreement
  • Which assets were personal before the marriage
  • Gifts, inheritances or personal injury lawsuit awards
  • Health and earning capability of each spouse
  • Infidelity (“marital waste”) or a history of domestic violence or abuse 
  • Gambling and debts
  • Addiction issues, which can also affect parenting time and custody

Whether you are two working adults with no kids or a working parent and a stay-at-home parent, or if your marriage involves a business, we have the skill and know-how to make sure that your assets are divided in a way that makes sense and is truly equitable.

There are two ways to divide assets in a Wisconsin divorce: by agreement between the two parties or in court. We will work with you to determine the best path for your situation and goals.

Get The Resolution You Need

Property division is not something to be taken lightly. You need to ensure that you receive the resources you need to be ok. Speak with an experienced property division lawyer to get the solution that works. Mayer Law Office, LLC, in West Bend, can help. Call 888-707-0085 and schedule your free initial consultation. You can also reach out to the firm via contact email and we will be in touch.