Your Voice In Life's Uncertain Times

Changing child support orders in Wisconsin

On Behalf of | May 21, 2019 | Family Law |

After divorce, Wisconsin parents will still usually have joint financial responsibilities when it comes to caring for their child, regardless of what the custody set-up looks like. However, the circumstances behind custody decisions may change, leaving a parent wondering if the child support order can change with it.

The Wisconsin Department of Children and Families states that changes made to child support orders can either increase or decrease the amount given. Additionally, medical support may be added to the order. They suggest requesting a review if the change would either involve a difference of $50 a month or more, if the current order does not follow the Percentage of Income guideline, or if it doesn’t yet include medical support.

FindLaw takes a look at the steps necessary to change a child support order, starting with getting a petition to change it approved. A legal agreement, known as a stipulation, may be created by the child support agency and given to both parents to sign. It will take effect after court approval. If the court is the one to review the order, they will also be the ones to decide whether or not to put it into effect. Fortunately, they usually don’t have to review the order unless one parent does not agree to the stipulation terms.

Financial situations change. With it, child support orders should also be somewhat flexible and forgiving toward unpredictable life situations. This flexibility will allow for what is financially best for the parents and child at any given point in time.



RSS Feed

FindLaw Network