Your Voice In Life's Uncertain Times

Is it appropriate to modify your divorce decree?

On Behalf of | May 21, 2020 | Family Law |

When you go through a divorce, the final decree seems as if it would be the last time you’d have to worry about your divorce at all. The truth, though, is that there are times when you may need to go back and ask to modify your divorce decree.

For example, if one of you does not agree with the divorce judgment, you may decide to appeal the decision. If you agree to the decision but later find that your spouse hid assets or have a custody arrangement you need to alter, then you may want to consider a modification at that time.

When would it be appropriate to seek a modification of a divorce decree?

There are a few times when you may want to ask to modify your divorce decree. Some include:

  • If you are paying or receiving alimony and have changes in your circumstances or know of changes in your ex-spouse’s circumstances
  • If you have children with a custody schedule that needs to be adjusted due to significant changes in your life
  • If you find out that your spouse hid assets, because you may be entitled to more than you received in the decree

There could be other times when it would work in your benefit to modify your divorce decree, so if you have major changes in your circumstances that affect your divorce arrangements or believe that you were treated unfairly during the divorce, you may want to discuss your options with your attorney. Every case is different, but it is a good idea to learn more before deciding if you should seek a modification.



RSS Feed

FindLaw Network