Your Voice In Life's Uncertain Times

How can I appeal a restraining order?

On Behalf of | Mar 11, 2021 | Blog |

If you have an extended restraining order that has been issued against you in Wisconsin, you have the right to file an appeal with the district court. You may want to modify or the order if you believe it’s too broad or is a burden. You may be at risk of losing your job, forced to move out of your residence, or barred from owning guns. The court may choose to modify, vacate, or affirm the restraining order after reviewing the details of the case and order. The grounds for an appeal include if the judge made an error of law, the facts of the case don’t support the judge’s decision, or the judge abused their discretion.

How can I appeal a restraining order?

There are many different forms of restraining order, all of which vary depending on the type of order. Because most restraining orders are from courts, they can be appealed in many cases. It can be challenging to get a restraining order overturned or amended, but it’s still possible, especially with legal assistance. The court will review the information provided and determine if the justice of peace made an error approving the protection order. They will then move forward with a hearing if they believe the appeal is justified after you file the motion.

Who can you contact for legal assistance?

Contact a local attorney for assistance with appealing a restraining order. The legal professional can evaluate the details of the order and inform you of potential grounds for an appeal while guiding you through each step of the process. The legal professional can also help you obtain new evidence to submit to the court where the case is pending and complete the necessary forms to be submitted.



RSS Feed

FindLaw Network