Your Voice In Life's Uncertain Times

How do you appeal a conviction?

On Behalf of | Jan 19, 2019 | Criminal Defense |

As a resident in Wisconsin who is facing a potential wrong conviction, you may not know much about appeals or where to begin with the process. At Mayer Law Office, LLC, we will help you and give you information you need to deal with appealing.

First of all, courts don’t always get everything right. Wrongful convictions do happen, and you could end up facing penalties for a crime you didn’t commit. Fortunately, appellate courts in Wisconsin can and have overturned both improper sentences and wrongful convictions.

Reversing a verdict only happens for certain reasons. A few of the valid ones include:

  • Misapplication of the law
  • The judge didn’t follow the law
  • Your lawyer failed to provide a good defense
  • Your constitutional rights were violated by the court
  • Prosecutors were allowed by the judge to introduce evidence that shouldn’t have been considered valid

If any of the above have happened to you, you will likely have a case. An appeal is based on the first trial you received, rather than having new evidence introduced or new arguments made. Transcriptions of the case will be used, along with evidence introduced at that time. From that information, the judge will decide whether or not to reverse a decision.

If you believe that you have been wrongfully convicted, or that the judge in your case gave an incorrect verdict, consider checking out our web site on appeals, linked here. You may also benefit from talking directly to one of our attorneys for more information.



RSS Feed

FindLaw Network